SplashNotes > iPhone / iPad > Download | Purchase | Release Notes | User Guide | FAQ
iPhone & iPod touch Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you don't find the answer to your question in the FAQs below, you
may request technical support here.
- How does the trial version differ from the regular
- How do I install SplashNotes?
- What is the current version of SplashNotes and what
- How do I update my software?
- I just purchased SplashNotes Desktop and need a registration
code. Where do I find it?
- I installed SplashNotes on a new desktop
and it's asking me for my registration code. Where can I find it?
- SplashNotes won't accept my registration code. Why
- How much do upgrades cost?
- Can I use SplashNotes on multiple handhelds and/or desktops?
- How can obtain a refund for my purchase on the
- How do I transfer my SplashNotes data from my
- How do I synchronize with my handheld?
- I cannot sync, or get the error: "SplashNotes
cannot connect to desktop application..."
- When I install and run SplashNotes Desktop, I get
this error:"This application has failed to start because dnssd.dll
was not found"
How does the trial version differ from the regular
The trial version and regular version are identical. The software
will run for 15-days in trial mode without requiring a registration code.
Once the 15-day trial expires, you must purchase a registration code to
continue using the product. Once you purchase a registration code, you
do not need to re-install the software. Simply enter the registration
code to continue using the software and all of your data will remain intact.
How do I install SplashNotes?
The iPhone version of SplashNotes is unique in that Apple sells
the handheld software separately through the App Store. We sell the desktop
companion software you sync with.
You must download and run the SplashNotes iPhone Desktop installer
on your desktop, as follows:
- Go to the download page, and click
the Download button for SplashNotes for Windows or Mac OS.
- When prompted with the "File Download" dialog box, select
"Save this program to disk" and save it in a place you are
sure to remember, like your Desktop.
- After the file has finished downloading, launch the Installer from
your desktop and follow the onscreen instructions.
- After the installation is complete, you will need to connect your
device to finish installing.
- For further instructions on how to use the software, double-click
the User Guide that was installed on your desktop.
What is the current version of SplashNotes and what
SplashNotes 2.2 is the current version. For an overview of changes,
see the release
How do I update my software?
For the desktop software, download and run the latest SplashNotes Installer
found on the download
page. It will update your existing software on your desktop. Your
data will remain intact and you won't have to re-enter your registration
code. For the handheld software upates, check the Applications tab in
iTunes for your iPhone sync, or go to the App Store on the handheld
and check the Updates tab.
I just purchased SplashNotes Dsktop and need a registration
code. Where do I find it?
When you purchase the software online, an order confirmation email
is immediately sent to you (the email you gave in the purchase form)
containing your registration code. The registration code will begin
with the letters SNXU. Enter it exactly as it appears, and the
trial software will be converted into a registered version.
I installed SplashNotes on a new desktop and it's
asking me for my registration code. Where can I find it?
If you installed SplashNotes on a new computer, you can find your existing
registration code in "About SplashNotes" found in the Help menu
on Windows and SplashNotes menu on Mac.
If that doesn't work, contact us and
we'll respond with your registration code.
SplashNotes won't accept my registration code.
Make sure you are entering the correct registration code, and not your
order number. The registration code should begin with the letters SNXU. You may want to try entering the
code without the dashes. Also,
make sure there are no spaces before, after, or within the code. The
registration code only needs to be entered once.
f you already own a SplashNotes 1.x license for Palm OS or Desktop
support for a registration code.
How much do upgrades cost?
If you own a license for SplashNotes 1.x, you can get a free license
for the SplashNotes iPhone Desktop - just
The handheld software (for iPhone and iPod Touch) is only available
from the App Store, and at this time there is no way to discount
sales through that channel.
Updates within a version (e.g., 2.0 to 2.1) are free to all registered
users. Major upgrades (e.g., 2.x to 3.x) are available at a substantial
discount to registered users. If you purchase within 15-days of a major
upgrade you will receive the upgrade for free.
Can I use SplashNotes on multiple handhelds and/or desktops?
The license is per user and is not tied to a specific device,
but you may have difficulties synching between one device and multiple
desktops. Multiple handheld devices can be synchronized with the same
How can I obtain a refund for my purchase
on the App Store?
Since we do not manage the App Store, we cannot process refunds for
it. Apple's policy is that all sales are final, but you can contact them
if you are truly dissatisfied here:
How do I transfer my SplashNotes
data from my previous version for Palm?
Unfortunately this is not supported, but you
can copy and paste outline text between the old version and the new
version of SplashNotes Desktop. The hierarchy may be lost on pasting
the text, so you will have to reapply indents.
How do I synchronize with my handheld?
In order to synchronize, you must do the following:
- Select the same network that your computer is on for your handheld
- Open the SplashNotes desktop
- Select the correct user from the User menu in the SplashNotes desktop
to match the device name
- Adjust the iPhone Sync settings in File > iPhone Sync if you wish
- Start the Sync on the handheld.
For detailed information, see the User
Guide on Synchronization.
I cannot sync, or get the error: "SplashNotes
cannot connect to desktop application..."
The following are possible causes of problems locating the SplashNotes
desktop from the Sync tool on the handheld application:
- The SplashNotes desktop is not running.
- Solution: Start the SplashNotes iPhone Desktop.
- The wrong version of SplashNotes is running on the desktop.
- Solution: Close the version you are running and make sure you
launch the application named SplashNotes iPhone Desktop.
On Mac OS, it would be in Applications. On Windows, it would
be in Start >
Programs > SplashData > SplashNotes for iPhone. If you
don't have this, you need to install
- iPhone device name contains accented characters.
- Solution: At this time, such characters need to be removed
from the username. These include characters such as -- é ü ç ñ
-- and others like these. To change the device name, connect
the device via USB to the computer and launch iTunes. Click on
the device name on the left browser panel once, and change the
name removing these characters.
- The wrong network is selected on the handheld.
- Solution: On the handheld, go to Settings > Wi-Fi. Make
sure it is turned on and the correct network is selected.
- Windows - Bonjour is not installed. Either Bonjour or iTunes must
- Solution: Reinstall SplashNotes and leave the box checked
to install Bonjour.
- Desktop computer is behind a firewall or some other network
- Solution 1: Open up the Firewall connection (See
- Windows Firewall Settings > Exceptions > Check
Bonjour; in Advanced, uncheck Wireless Network Connection
- Mac OS 10.5: System Preferences > Security > Firewall > Set
it to Allow all incoming connections
- Mac OS 10.4: System Preferences > Internet & Network > Sharing > Click
stop button to turn firewall off
- Solution 2: Disable anti-virus software. Anti-virus software
will close many ports and may block our sync service.
- Solution 3: Set up and
Ad Hoc Network.
- Windows -- Bonjour service is not running.
- Solution: To check, go to Start -> Run. Type msconfig. Under
services tab, Bonjour must have a status of "Running." If
not, reinstall SplashNotes.
- Windows -- VPN service is active.
- Solution: Open the Properties settings for you wireless network
connection and uncheck the VPN service item. This may enable
you to sync. When you are finished you can turn the VPN service
- Windows & Mac OS -- Our networking service may not be
- Solution: Restart your computer.
- Windows -- Bonjour needs to be repaired. It can
appear that Bonjour is installed and working, but in some cases it
actually needs to be repaired.
- Solution: Repair the Bonjour installation by going to Control
Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Select Bonjour > Click
> Follow prompts. Then try synching again.
When I install and run SplashNotes Desktop,
I get this error:"This application has failed to start because dnssd.dll
was not found"
You will see this error if your Bonjour service is corrupted or out-of-date.
To fix this error, download latest version of Bonjour from:
Once you reinstall Bonjour, you will be able to successfully