SplashPhoto > Palm OS > Download | Purchase | Release Notes | User Guide | FAQ
SplashPhoto for Palm OS Release Notes
SplashPhoto 5.03 - December 10, 2008
- Fixes redraw issues on exit
- Improved performance with larger photo albums
- Fixes a crash on the SplashPhoto Desktop
- Fixes an a problem where adding an image does not give resize tools
- Fixes broken Ctrl-R shortcut
SplashPhoto 5.02 - August 24, 2008
- Major Upgrade - $9.95 for existing licensees
- Support for larger format memory cards - 2GB and up
- Support for TIFF, GIF, BMP
- Share photos on Picasa, Flickr, and Facebook
- Tree View added
- New finger friendly UI
SplashPhoto 4.4 - January 27, 2006
- Moves images to DCIM directory on memory cards, adding support for
contacts images and backgrounds.
SplashPhoto 4.34 - October 28, 2005
- Updated a few translations in Italian and German version
- Added support for Palm Z22
- Fixed support for Mac OS 10.2
SplashPhoto 4.33 - July 20, 2005
- Desktop: Photos taken by the Treo 650’s internal camera now
sync correctly to the desktop (Mac OS)
- Desktop: SplashPhoto desktop icon is now transparent. (Mac OS)
- Desktop/Handheld: Added Brazilian Portuguese localization.
- Handheld: Pictures captured via camera in SplashPhoto are now stored
- Handheld: Minor user interface fixes.
- Fixes the EXIF crasher that LifeDrive users are experiencing.
SplashPhoto 4.32a - January 11, 2005
- Sorting by category now works correctly in list view.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when recategorizing (or changing
location) in list view and the image no longer was in the current view.
SplashPhoto 4.32 - December 16, 2004
- SplashPhoto now alerts a Treo 600 user that modifying an internal
Treo camera image will deactivate Caller-ID links.
- SplashPhoto no longer defaults to the first username in the list when
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when viewing image details of
a Treo 600 internal image.
SplashPhoto 4.31 - December 9, 2004
- Added camera controls directly in SplashPhoto. The controls work for
most devices with built-in cameras. See documentation for a list of
- Added support for the Tungsten T|5 five-way navigator.
- Added the ability to control zoom via the application buttons.
- Added syncing support for the Tungsten T|5 and Treo 650 internal cards.
- Added support for Treo camera photos save to internal memory (SplashPhoto
could only see them previously if they were on the card).
- Fixed a bug that could crash SplashPhoto if the trial was expired
- Added syncing support for the Tungsten T|5 and Treo 650 internal NVFS
- Fixed a bug where the image name wouldn’t display in the Hotsync
Progress window on the desktop as SplashPhoto was syncing.
SplashPhoto 4.21 - October 8, 2004
- Added French, German, Italian, and Spanish versions of the handheld
and desktop application.
- Fixed a bug that would cause a syncing error if My Documents was on
a Network drive
- Fixed a bug that would cause an error during a desktop overwrites
handheld sync: “>>>> Please run SplashPhoto on your
handheld, then HotSync again. SplashPhoto synchronization failed.”
- SplashPhoto’s music feature can now handle more than 50 mp3
- Slideshow transitions now work when Play Music is enabled on a TungstenT.
- The Palm OS date format preference is now used by SplashPhoto for
- Auto-run while now works correctly on the Treo 600.
- Fixed a bug that could crash SplashPhoto desktop if an image was improperly
added to SplashPhoto.
SplashPhoto 4.2a - August 23, 2004
- Fixed bug in Windows Conduit that would cause syncing to fail if
there were images stored on VFS in a directory other than the SplashPhoto
- Fixed a bug on Windows desktop that would occur when marking images
as Private with the contextual menu.
SplashPhoto 4.2 - August 21, 2004
- Added slideshow transitions
- Added background audio (MP3s, etc.) while playing slideshow*
- Slideshow will run continuously when out of cradle
- Zoom UI chage: Moved the Zoom icons to the right bottom corner of
- Added option to display captions when viewing images
- Added desktop preference for setting JPG compression level for new
images added to desktop
* To play background audio while viewing a slideshow you must have one
of the following: PocketTunes 3.0 or later installed, AeroPlayer 5.0 or
later installed, or a Zire 72. If your system meets one or more of these
requirements, you can choose to play audio in the background while viewing
a slideshow in the Slideshow Preferences dialog.
SplashPhoto 4.1 - December 12, 2003
- When the slider is opened on a Tungsten 3, a HiRes+ image now displays
in full-resolution (Palm)
- Changed default rotation preference to match Handedness preference
on Tungsten 3 (Palm)
- Fixed a problem that would cause rotated images to shrink (Windows)
- Photos marked as "private" now sync properly (Windows)
- Username in Choose User list is now double-clickable (Windows)
- Added a more descriptive HotSync status (Windows)
- Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause a reset if you canceled hotsync
SplashPhoto 4.09 - November 26, 2003
- The date that shows in SplashPhoto is the Original EXIF date stored
in the photo instead of the Archive EXIF date (if available).
- Added a Select User dialog for first-time users.
- Added more contextual menu support (Windows) with the ability to
cut, copy, and email images.
- Changed a hotsync log error to be more descriptive (Windows).
- Fixed a character mapping problem.
- Fixed two browser view sort bugs (Windows).
- Fixed an orientation problem for images that originated on the handheld
- Fixed a bug where ampersands (&) wouldn't show up in the filename
in certain views (Windows).
- Fixed a bug that would cause the UX-50 and T3 to show the incorrect
SplashPhoto 4.08a - November 16, 2003
- Fixed upgrade bug from version 4.05 that would cause the Desktop to
crash if the DeviceSpecs file was out of date.
SplashPhoto 4.08 - November 14, 2003
- Support for new Hi-Res Plus screens
- Password protection for private images
- Ability to drag images out of SplashPhoto Desktop
- Mac OS 10.3 (Panther) support
- Numerous bugs fixed
SplashPhoto 4.05 - August 18, 2003
- Fixed bug that would cause the category list to get unsorted if
categories were renamed.
SplashPhoto 4.04 - August 11, 2003
- Image View Menu items now work properly on OS 3.5 devices.
- Images properly display on Samsung SPH i500.
- Conduit displays an error in the log if HotSync 4.0 or later is not
- Thumbnail will be rebuilt on handheld if EXIF thumbnail has zero
- Added support for SplashPhoto SDK.
SplashPhoto 4.03 - August 8, 2003
- Fixed bug on Tungsten C that kept the slideshow from auto-running
- On handheld images on internal memory cannot be renamed the same as
an existing image with different case (e.g., FRED vs. fred).
- On the desktop, when adding multiple images, if one or more of the
images has a filename that is too long, the image will be skipped
rather than aborting the entire import process.
SplashPhoto 4.02 - August 7, 2003
- Improved memory management on handheld for users with lots (1000s)
- Fixed bug that would cause the handheld to lock up when receiving
image from a camera phone (like the Sony Ericsson T610, T68i or P800/P900)
via IR or bluetooth.
- Fixed redraw bug on handheld that would occur when selecting Zoom
mode with the shortcut /Z.
- Desktop supports copying/pasting images between Users. You can also
copy/paste images between categories.
- Desktop remembers last viewed category between sessions.
SplashPhoto 4.01 - August 6, 2003
- Fixed crasher in Conduit that would occur when the desktop and
handheld clocks differed by more than 11 hours.
- Added "Show/Hide Private" menu command on Desktop.
- Add date and time display to Detail view on Desktop.
- Support Page up, Page Down, Home and End keys on Desktop.
SplashPhoto 4.0 - August 5, 2003
- Added Desktop catalog - SplashPhoto Desktop now stores images in
a desktop catalog that synchronizes with the handheld.
- Unlimited categories - You can now create an unlimited number of categories
(the old version limited you to 15).
- Faster - The scanning and caching has been improved to make SplashPhoto
- Friendlier - The Desktop automatically detects the capabilities of
the handheld it is syncing with so the user doesn't have to know the
resolution or bit-depth of their device and perform confusing configuration
- JPGs on internal - All images are stored in JPG format on both external
memory AND internal memory. This means that file sizes are significantly
reduced (as much as 80%). The other benefit of this is that JPGs received
via Exchange Manager (through an email application like Snappermail
or Versamail, for example) can be stored on internal memory for those
without a VFS card.
- Full size images - The Desktop software still allows you to crop images
to fit the handheld display, but you can also install images at their
full resolution if you want.
- Compatible with Palm Photos - For users of the Palm Zire71, SplashPhoto
is compatible with the Palm Photos file format, enabling you to view
Zire71 photos that are stored on internal memory (as well as on a card,
where they are just stored as normal JPGs).
- Details View - This new view allows you to see a thumbnail image as
well as category, location, size and dimensions. And you can directly
modify the category and location in this view so you don't have to open
the Image Details dialog.
- Improved Exchange Manager support - sending/receiving images via Exchange
Manager has been improved to better support Snappermail and Versamail.
- Pan and Zoom - installing images larger than the screen size on the
handheld allows you to zoom in and out and pan using hardware buttons
or on-screen controls.
SplashPhoto 3.63 - April 29, 2003
- Fixed a Clié redraw issue
- Added support for Garmin 320x450 resolution
- Switched to PDF version of the user guide
- Enhanced Garmin Virtual Graffiti support
SplashPhoto 3.62 - Feb. 10, 2003
- Faster launching and sorting
- Fixes crash when storing more than 700 images in SplashPhoto directory
- You can power off the handheld in the cradle when auto-running the
slideshow and it will remain off
- Added a Mail command for sending images via Snappermail on pre-0S4
- Manual slideshow works properly when in Random mode
- Fixed crasher that occurred when ejecting VFS card while in Image
- Fixed selection redraw bugs when switching categories
SplashPhoto 3.61 - January 28, 2003
- Fixed bug on hi-res, grayscale devices (Clie SL10/SJ20) that caused
images to appear distorted
- Fixed memory leak on random slideshow
SplashPhoto 3.6 - January 24, 2003
- Hi-res font support
- Faster scrolling
- Faster sorting in list view
- Support for Sony jog-dial and Tungsten 5 way navigator
- Selection retained in Browser, allowing you to start a Slideshow from
the selected image
- Slideshow will stop and handheld will turn off when handheld is removed
from charging cradle
- Option to hide progress bar during Slideshow
- Don't display progress bar on ARM devices if JPEG decode happens quickly
- Next JPEG image begins decoding/caching while viewing an image. If
enough time elapses to completely decode the next image, it will show
instantly when you press the page down hardware button
- Support for displaying JPEG attachments in Snappermail
- Support for beaming/receiving JPEG images in standard MIME format
so you can beam a JPEG to a printer or receive one from your camera
or cell phone
- Exchange Manager support for beaming via Bluetooth, SMS, email, etc.
- JPEG images received via a Beam (or an app like Snappermail) can be
displayed (temporarily) when no VFS card present (e.g., Treo)
- JPEG error messages are displayed (rather than a black screen)
- Improved memory management (should allow really big JPEGs)
- SplashPhoto category database, SPPhotoDB-SpPh.PDB, is now backed up.
So if you do a hard reset, you won't lose your categories.
- Faster SplashPhoto launch (skip image scan) when launched from another
app (e.g., Snappermail or SplashPhoto SDK)
SplashPhoto 3.54 - November 13, 2002
- Fixed bug on Sony Clie 710c devices that are running Palm OS 3.5.
SplashPhoto will not run in 16-bit or hi-res mode on these devices,
and instead will only display 8-bit low-res images. To get hi-res, 16-bit
support, the device must be upgraded to Palm OS 4.0.
- Fixed bug affecting the thumbnail view on OS5 devices when switching
- Fixed caching bug that would cause SplashPhoto to run out of VRAM
when manually paging through JPEG images.
- Fixed bug that would cause thumbnails to display double-sized on a
Sony Clie when HiRes Assist was disabled.
SplashPhoto 3.53 - November 6, 2002
- Displays more thumbnails in browser view on Hi-Res+ devices
- Added auto-rotate JPEG preference for Hi-Res+ devices
- Improved support for hiding/showing virtual graffiti area on Sony
- Slideshow auto-run pref works in conjunction with SplashClock, giving
- Random slideshow option now will show all images in random order before
- Caching more image details (size, dimensions) to improve performance
in list view when showing those columns
- Fixed cache bug when old /Palm/Products/SplashPhoto directory was
present on VFS
- Fixed bug that prevented PDBs on VFS from being renamed
- Fixed bug on HR+ devices when PDB contained additional bands of data
- Other miscellaneous fixes and improvements
SplashPhoto 3.52 - October 31, 2002
- Fixed JPEG bug on Sony Clie NX60 and NX70.
- Fixed syncing bug with Tungsten and Mac OSX .
- Added larger browser display with virtual graffiti area hidden on
SplashPhoto 3.51 - October 25, 2002
- Fixed JPEG beaming bug.
- Fixed JPEG categorizing bug.
SplashPhoto 3.5 - October 17, 2002
- SplashPhoto Desktop can now install cropped JPEGs on the handheld,
rather than just PDBs.
- JPEG images installed on the device now have cached thumbnails.
- JPEG images on the handheld can be edited, just like PDBs, with categories,
notes and Private settings.
- JPEG images can be beamed to other handhelds with VFS memory.
- JPEG images are decoded in the background when running slideshow.
- Hi-Res thumbnails are displayed on hi-res devices.
- Category editing on VFS is now very fast (before the image had to
be copied to internal memory and then back out to VFS).
- Categories can be batch applied on the desktop prior to installation
using the Assign Category menu command on the File Menu.
- More zoom levels in SplashPhoto Desktop
- PDBs are now compressed, resulting in about a 20% file size reduction.
- Support for 12-bit Hi-Res devices (such as the new Acer models)
- Direct access to security settings from Options Menu
- Show slides in random order option
- Slideshow delay option of Manual, for manually advancing slides
SplashPhoto 3.04 - August 21, 2002
- Fixed redraw bug on NR70 when scrolling through Low Res and Hi Res
- Fixed crasher on OS 3.5 color devices (Prism & Treo) when attempting
to display a Hi Res 16-bit image
- Fixed redraw bug that affected thumbnail view after running slideshow
SplashPhoto 3.03a - August 12, 2002
- Fixed bug on Mac OS (Windows version is unchanged) where categories
created on the Desktop weren't properly sync'd to the handheld
SplashPhoto 3.03 - August 9, 2002
- Added Conduit logging of images installed.
- Fixed 16-bit icon bug with SilverScreen.
SplashPhoto 3.02 - August 8, 2002
- Redesigned layout of SplashPhoto Desktop for Windows
- Fixed bug that would cause HotSync to crash when syncing with pre-4.0
versions of HotSync Manager (Treo)
- Fixed bug that would report an error in the HotSync log when syncing
with a handheld with a write-protected VFS card installed
- Conduit now displays status showing the names of the image it is installing
- Fixed beaming bug on handheld
- Added 16-bit icon for compatibility with SilverScreen
- Hide status bar when in Slideshow on NR70
- Show soft graffiti area on NR70 when opening Image Details dialog
- Fixed redraw issues on B/W devices
- JPEG support on OS 3.5 (Prism w/MemPlug)
- List View header color fix on 8-bit devices
- Other miscellaneous fixes
SplashPhoto 3.01 - August 5, 2002
- Fixed bug affecting Windows 98 and 2000 users where Resolution popup
in SplashPhoto Desktop would only show one entry.
SplashPhoto 3.0 - August 4, 2002
- Support for Sony Clie Hi Res (320x320) displays
- Support for Sony Clie Hi Res + (320x480) displays
- Support for 12-bit color displays (Handspring Treo)
- View JPEG images stored on external memory card
- Support for hardware JPEG acceleration (Clie NR70)
- Support for future OS5/ARM based handhelds
- Conduit installs images directly to external memory
- Customizable List View
- Auto-run slideshow when handheld is charging
SplashPhoto 2.86a - June 6, 2002
- Fixed Mac OSX error 306 when using SplashPhoto Desktop on non-startup
SplashPhoto 2.86 - May 10, 2002
- Fixed Desktop permission errors on Mac OS X.
SplashPhoto 2.85a - March 25, 2002
- Updated "a" version is compatible with Palm Desktop 4.0
Release for Mac OS.
SplashPhoto 2.85 - February 19, 2002
SplashPhoto 2.84 - February 1, 2002
- Fixed various VFS related bugs
- Added menu option for manually updating Cache File on VFS card
- Added support for Palm Desktop 4.0 for Mac OS 9 & OS X
SplashPhoto 2.83 - November 13, 2001
- Added support for Windows XP and Mac OS X
- Fixed bug that caused the cache file not to update when deleting images
from external VFS memory
- Fixed bug that caused files with long, similar names to overwrite
SplashPhoto 2.82 - September 21, 2001
- Improved caching speed when editing images
- Fixed bug affecting Private images stored on external memory
SplashPhoto 2.81 - September 20, 2001
- Fixed erroneous error message displayed when launching SplashPhoto
- Fixed VFS incompatibility with MemPlug
SplashPhoto 2.8 - September 19, 2001
- Significant speed increase when storing images on VFS external memory
- Mac OS X compatibility
SplashPhoto 2.71 - September 14, 2001
- Mac OS Installer installs CarbonLib on Macs that don't have it installed
- Miscellaneous changes
SplashPhoto 2.7 - August 27, 2001
- Storing images on VFS cards in /Palm/Products/SplashPhoto directory
(improves performance and fixes MSMount conflict)
- Browser view sorts images alphabetically
- Error correction in long filenames and names with illegal DOS characters
SplashPhoto 2.6 - June 29, 2001
- Added support for Sony Clie & Memory Stick
- Memory Stick cards show up in Location popup
- Palm/Launcher directory is created if it does not already exist on
- Fixed crash which occurred when exiting SplashPhoto caused by HighResAssist
SplashPhoto 2.51 - June 28, 2001
- Bug fixes
- 16-bit images were displaying in 8-bit or 4-bit in some circumstances
- Images with very long filenames couldn't be moved to/from SD cards
- Deleting images would cause a fatal reset, if other images were marked
SplashPhoto 2.5 - June 27, 2001
- Added support for SD/MMC cards
SplashPhoto 2.1 - April 4, 2001
- Improved support for Handspring memory modules
SplashPhoto 2.0 - March 26, 2001
- Added Desktop image editor
SplashPhoto 1.1 - March 12, 2001
SplashPhoto 1.0 - March 2, 2001