| || |
Personal Finances... Simplified. For iPhone, Mac OS & Windows
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you don't find the answer to your question in the FAQs below, you may request technical support here.
- How does the trial version differ from the regular version?
- How do I install SplashMoney?
- What is the current version of SplashMoney and what has changed?
- How do I update my software?
- Do I have to buy the SplashMoney Desktop for iPhone if I already own a previous version?
- I just purchased SplashMoney Desktop and need a registration code. Where do I find it?
- I installed SplashMoney on a new desktop and it's asking me for my registration code. Where can I find it?
- SplashMoney won't accept my registration code. Why not?
- How much do upgrades cost?
- Can I use SplashMoney on multiple handhelds and/or desktops?
- How can obtain a refund for my purchase on the App Store?
- Which online banks are supported?
- How do I transfer my SplashMoney data from my previous version?
- How do I synchronize with my handheld?
- I cannot sync, or get the error: "SplashMoney cannot connect to desktop application..."
- When I go through the Online Setup, I get a blank Accounts screen.
- When I try to sync, it gives me an error saying the password doesn't match the desktop.
- When I install and run SplashMoney Desktop, I get this error:"This application has failed to start because dnssd.dll was not found"
- Is SplashMoney compatible with the iOS 4.0 update?
How does the trial version differ from the regular version?
The trial version and regular version are identical. The software will run for 30-days in trial mode without requiring a registration code. Once the 30-day trial expires, you must purchase a registration code to continue using the product. Once you purchase a registration code, you do not need to re-install the software. Simply enter the registration code to continue using the software and all of your data will remain intact.
How do I install SplashMoney?
The iPhone version of SplashMoney is unique in that Apple sells the handheld software separately through the App Store. We sell the desktop companion software you sync with. You must download and run the SplashMoney iPhone Desktop installer on your desktop, as follows:
- Go to the download page, and click the Download button for SplashMoney for Windows or Mac OS.
- When prompted with the "File Download" dialog box, select "Save this program to disk" and save it in a place you are sure to remember, like your Desktop.
- After the file has finished downloading, launch the Installer from your desktop and follow the onscreen instructions.
- After the installation is complete, you will need to connect your device to finish installing.
- For further instructions on how to use the software, double-click the User Guide that was installed on your desktop.
What is the current version of SplashMoney and what has changed?
SplashMoney 4.9 is the current version for iPhone and 4.9 is the current version for desktop compouters. For an overview of changes, see the release notes.
How do I update my software?
For the desktop software, download and run the latest SplashMoney Installer found on the download page.
Note: Do NOT remove or delete the old version of SplashMoney on your iPhone or iPod touch, as this will erase any data you have entered. Just install the update over the existing installation of SplashMoney.
- Before you Update SplashMoney on the iPhone, please make sure you have backed up your SplashMoney records on the Desktop (File > Export > QIF. Repat for each account).
- SplashMoney on your iPhone or iPod touch will be updated.
- Update can be performed either directly on the iPhone/iPod touch, or using iTunes on the desktop.
- Both methods of update should normally work, but it is easier to update directly on the iPhone/iPod touch. Again, do NOT remove or delete the old version of SplashMoney, as this will erase any data you have entered. Just install the update over the existing installation of SplashMoney
- To update on iPhone/iPod touch:
- Tap on App Store Icon -> Tap on Updates Tab (Bottom-Right) -> Tap on the SplashMoney application update
- If for some reason, update on the iPhone does not work for you, here are the steps to update using iTunes on Desktop:
- In the menu bar, Select Store -> Check for Purchases. SplashMoney update will show up inside Downloads. Ensure you have SplashMoney selected under Applications tab, and perform sync.
- Once you have updated, open SplashMoney on iPhone/iPod touch. Verify the download is successful by checking the version number is the latest in the opening screen or in the About screen.
- You must update your desktop version of SplashMoney as well. Download the SplashMoney for iPhone Desktop updates for Windows and Mac. Once again, verify that you have successfully updated by looking for the latest version number in the About dialog.
Do I have to buy the SplashMoney Desktop for iPhone if I already own a previous version?
Desktop Software is FREE to Current Licensees!
I just purchased SplashMoney Desktop and need a registration code. Where do I find it?
When you purchase the software online, an order confirmation email is immediately sent to you (the email you gave in the purchase form) containing your registration code. The registration code will begin with the letters SMXU or SWXU. Enter it exactly as it appears, and the trial software will be converted into a registered version.
I installed SplashMoney on a new desktop and it's asking me for my registration code. Where can I find it?
If you installed SplashMoney on a new computer, you can find your existing registration code in "About SplashMoney" found in the Help menu on Windows and SplashMoney menu on Mac.
If that doesn't work, contact us and we'll respond with your registration code.
SplashMoney won't accept my registration code. Why not?
Make sure you are entering the correct registration code, and not your order number. The registration code should begin with the letters SMXU or SWXU. You may want to try entering the code without the dashes. Also, make sure there are no spaces before, after, or within the code. Also, make sure you are not confusing your registration code with your password. The registration code only needs to be entered once. The password is a word you define and must be entered each time you launch SplashMoney.
if you already own a SplashMoney 4.x license for Palm OS or Desktop only, you do not need a new registration code to unlock the iPhone version, though you still need to download it. If your SplashMoney 4.x license is for BlackBerry or Windows Mobile, contact support for a registration code.
How much do upgrades cost?
If you own a license for SplashMoney 3.x or older, you need to upgrade to SplashMoney Desktop for iPhone which costs $9.95 - you can use the SplashMoney Upgrade Form.
The handheld software (for iPhone and iPod Touch) is only available from the App Store, and at this time there is no way to discount sales through that channel.
Updates within a version (e.g., 2.0 to 2.1) are free to all registered users. Major upgrades (e.g., 2.x to 3.x) are available at a substantial discount to registered users. If you purchase within 30-days of a major upgrade you will receive the upgrade for free.
Can I use SplashMoney on multiple handhelds and/or desktops?
The license is per user and is not tied to a specific device, but there may not be a way to transfer the application to a second iPhone/iPod Touch.
How can I obtain a refund for my purchase on the App Store?
Since we do not manage the App Store, we cannot process refunds for it. Apple's policy is that all sales are final, but you can contact them if you are truly dissatisfied here:
How do I transfer my SplashMoney data from my previous version?
- Launch SplashMoney Desktop for Palm/WinMo/BlackBerry/Standalone, and export each file to QIF:
Quit the old SplashMoney Desktop and launch the SplashMoney Desktop for iPhone. Import each QIF file. Please note that transfers between accounts will not be preserved. Sync with the handheld.
- File > Export > QIF
- Repeat for each account
- It is advised if you have a lot of data to only export a recent date range to keep the volume down. You can also export older date ranges as a means of archiving.
How do I synchronize with my handheld?
In order to synchronize, you must do the following:
- Select the same network that your computer is on for your handheld to join
- Open the SplashMoney desktop
- Select the correct user from the User menu in the SplashMoney desktop to match the device name
- Set the passwords the same on both the desktop and handheld software
- Adjust the iPhone Sync settings in File > iPhone Sync if you wish
- Start the Sync on the handheld:
- Select "Sync" from Tools
- Select your desktop computer
- Tap "Start Sync"
For detailed information, see the User Guide on Synchronization.
I cannot sync, or get the error: "SplashMoney cannot connect to desktop application..."
The following are possible causes of sync problems, including locating the SplashMoney desktop from the Sync tool on the handheld application:
- The SplashMoney desktop is not running.
- Solution: Start the SplashMoney iPhone Desktop.
- The wrong version of SplashMoney is running on the desktop.
- Solution: Close the version you are running and make sure you launch the application named SplashMoney iPhone Desktop. On Mac OS, it would be in Applications. On Windows, it would be in Start > Programs > SplashData > SplashMoney for iPhone. If you don't have this, you need to install it. Also, make sure the versions match between the iPhone and the desktop, eg. 4.7 and 4.7.
- iPhone device name contains accented characters.
- Solution: At this time, such characters need to be removed from the username. These include characters such as -- é ü ç ñ -- and others like these. To change the device name, connect the device via USB to the computer and launch iTunes. Click on the device name on the left browser panel once, and change the name removing these characters.
- The wrong network is selected on the handheld.
- Solution: On the handheld, go to Settings > Wi-Fi. Make sure it is turned on and the correct network is selected.
- Windows - Bonjour is not installed. Either Bonjour or iTunes must be installed.
- Solution: Reinstall SplashMoney and leave the box checked to install Bonjour.
- Desktop computer is behind a firewall or some other network blockage.
- Solution 1: Open up the Firewall connection (See screenshots)
- Windows Firewall Settings > Exceptions > Check Bonjour; in Advanced, uncheck Wireless Network Connection
- Mac OS 10.5: System Preferences > Security > Firewall > Set it to Allow all incoming connections
- Mac OS 10.4: System Preferences > Internet & Network > Sharing > Click stop button to turn firewall off
- Solution 2: Disable anti-virus software. Anti-virus software will close many ports and may block our sync service.
- Solution 3: Set up and Ad Hoc Network.
- Windows -- Bonjour service is not running.
- Solution: To check, go to Start -> Run. Type msconfig. Under services tab, Bonjour must have a status of "Running." If not, reinstall SplashMoney.
- Windows -- VPN service is active.
- Solution: Open the Properties settings for you wireless network connection and uncheck the VPN service item. This may enable you to sync. When you are finished you can turn the VPN service back on.
- Windows & Mac OS -- Our networking service may not be available.
- Solution: Restart your computer.
- Windows -- Bonjour needs to be repaired. It can appear that Bonjour is installed and working, but in some cases it actually needs to be repaired.
- Solution: Repair the Bonjour installation by going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Select Bonjour > Click Change/Repair > Follow prompts. Then try synching again.
- ZoneAlarm is Installed -- A new conflict has been discovered with ZoneAlarm.
- Solution: Until we find a workaround, it is recommended that you uninstall ZoneAlarm as this will prevent our applications from synching over Wi-Fi successfully.
When I go through the Online Setup, I get a blank Accounts screen.
This could be caused by a number of things, one of which is that you have not activated Direct Connect access for your bank account. To do this:
- Call your bank customer support.
- Tell them you wish to activate Direct Connect access for Quicken (this avoids confusion over what SplashMoney is, and we use the same technology).
- They may want to charge you a monthly fee for the service. Some banks will waive this if you use direct deposit for your paycheck.
- Go back to SplashMoney and try setting up your account again. You may have received a different user ID and password for Direct Connect.
When I try to sync, it gives me an error saying the password doesn't match the desktop.
This most likely means that you have set the password on the desktop correctly, but for the incorrect username. Select the correct iPhone user from the User menu in the SplashMoney iPhone Desktop, and set the password the same as the handheld.
When I install and run SplashMoney Desktop, I get this error:"This application has failed to start because dnssd.dll was not found"
You will see this error if your Bonjour service is corrupted or out-of-date.To fix this error, download latest version of Bonjour from:
Once you reinstall Bonjour, you will be able to successfully run SplashMoney.
Is SplashMoney compatible with the iOS 4.0 update?
Yes, it has been tested and runs fine on iPhone devices running the 4.0 firmware update.
| || |
|> ||iPhone OS 2.1 or later |
|> ||iPod Touch OS 2.1 or later |
|> ||Mac OS 10.4.11 or later |